Recap of my 27 before 27 list
My 27th birthday was a couple days ago. I attempted 16 things on my 27 before 27 list and actually completed 8 of them.
1. Read ten of Agatha Christie’s mystery novels. Did I collect several Agatha Christie books? Yes. Did I read any this year? No.
2. Read every book by my favorite author, L. M. Montgomery. I’ve read 14 so far and there are 6 left. Sadly, I did not read any additional books by her this year.
3. Read five biographies. Again, I bought several biographies, but didn’t read any.
4. Brush up on American and World History. Check! (read more here)
5. Complete the 52 books in 52 weeks challenge. I’ve attempted this goal twice now. The first time (in 2013), I read 31 books. This year, I’m ashamed to say I only made it to 13. Eek. I started at least 5 additional books, but I just never finished them.
6. Become financially literate. I’m making progress on this one, but I’m not there yet.
7. Learn how to sew. I had one sewing lesson with my mom. I was able to mend several pieces of clothing. I even started on a special sewing project (which I’m hoping to finish next year). However, I would not say that I met this goal yet. Perhaps after I finish the sewing project I will feel confident enough in my sewing skills to consider this goal met.
What is it? I can’t say yet…it’s a gift.
8. Learn how to drive a manual car. K gave me one lesson about 3 years ago. We did not have a second lesson this year. I am feeling hesitant about accomplishing this goal.
9. Learn some geography. Check! (read more here)
10. Become financially self-sufficient. Check! (read more here)
11. Grow my own vegetables. We grew herbs this year (parsley, cilantro, and basil) but no veggies. Next year!
12. Learn how to make sushi. I have helped K make sushi a couple more times, but I won’t consider this goal met until I can do it myself from start to finish.
13. Become an early riser. With my new job, I now have to be at work at 7:45 am. This has resulted in me getting up early by default. However, I will not consider this goal met until I am consistently getting up at least 30 minutes before I have to so that I have time to drink coffee/read a book before leaving for work.
14. Be completely debt free. This was the year I finally paid off my student loan. All that is left now is K’s student loan.
15. Take a week break from TV/Netflix and all social media. I took some weekend breaks, but I did not do a whole week.
16. Stick with the Dave Ramsey budget system for at least a year. I have been off and on with this goal throughout the year. I do maintain a budget, but we have not stuck with doing cash only.
17. Pay for a stranger’s groceries. I have not done this one yet.
18. Start an exercise routine and stick with it for at least 90 days. I stuck with an exercise routine for about a month… I also did yoga for a couple months in a row. However, nothing has stuck.
19. Eat fresh vegetables or fruits once a day for 30 days. Check! (read more here)
20. Blog at least once a month for 1 year. I missed blogging several months this year.
21. Marry the love of my life. I’m a Mrs. now! (read more here)
22. Host a dinner party. Check! (read more here)
23. Break a piñata. Not yet. I need a piñata breaking occasion. Cinco de Mayo party, maybe?
24. Go parasailing. We had this booked in October when we went to Florida, but unfortunately it got canceled due to weather conditions.
25. Take a trip with my best friend. Check! (read more here)
26. Go spelunking. Check! (read more here)
27. Attend a masquerade party. Not yet.
When I saw that I only completed 8 things on my list this year, I was disappointed. However, then I realized that I have done more than I initially thought. In addition to the 8 goals on my 27 before 27 list, I also completed 3 other adventures that were on my overall bucket list.
#19. Watch the sunrise at the beach (completed in April 2015, read more here)
#66. Release a floating lantern (completed July 2015, read more here)
#104. Visit 15 new places/towns/cities within driving distance of where I live in one year. (completed December 2015, read more here)
I made some progress on #47, too – watch the 100 greatest American movies of all time, as ranked by the AFI (read about my progress here). I watched 5 more movies on this list this year (Pulp Fiction, Fargo, The Silence of the Lambs, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, and Annie Hall.)
Best of all, I had some amazing spontaneous adventures that never made it on a bucket list.
Reflecting back on my year, I feel that there are a couple of main hurdles that held me back from meeting more goals. One hurdle was that I was not happy at my job. When I got home from work, my mood was not the greatest and I didn’t feel like doing anything other than sitting down in front of the TV. Many days, I just did not feel motivated at all to work on my goals. However, at the end of August I made a big change and switched to a new job. I am much, much happier in my new work environment.
The other main hurdle for me is time wasters like Netflix, Pinterest, and Facebook. Don’t get me wrong, I think all three of these are great in moderation. But I don’t use them in moderation. I keep finding new shows to binge watch, I can pin things for hours, heck, when I’m driving and stop at a stoplight, my first instinct is to grab my phone and check Facebook. My problem is that a few minutes turns into a few hours. I want to make it a priority this year to scale back and use time wasters in moderation. I know I will feel much more fulfilled if I get up and do something instead of letting all my time waste away.
I would say that overall my 26th year was pretty adventure-filled after all. Now, it’s time to finish my 28 before 28 list. Here’s to my 27th year being full of adventure.